CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mass Hysteria or Caution?

My school is closed down until next Thursday because one of the students has a confirmed "probable" case of the swine flu. Now, I'm all for some extra days off (the word as of now is that we won't have to make up the days), but I'm wondering if a week is a little excessive? I don't know. Maybe it isn't, but Justin's doctor seems to think it is.

Justin has not been feeling well for the past few days and had a high temperature on Friday. We went to the doctor Friday afternoon. His doctor was in a terrible mood! She seemed very annoyed with us and kept talking about the mass hysteria in regards to H1N1 (We can probably thank Biden for that). She said that she's has never run more flu tests before in her life. Justin told her that he would have gone to the doctor regardless of the swine flu because of how miserable he was. Well, Justin doesn't have the swine flu (and we never thought he did), but isn't it better to be safe than sorry?
This brings up two questions for me:

1) Would I have gone to work on Thursday knowing that one of the students at my school "probably" has the swine flu?

2) If I had kids, would I have sent them to school with this knowledge?

The answer to question one is yes. I was fully prepared to go to school on Thursday until I got the call that it was canceled. However, the answer to question two is no. If I had kids, I would not have sent them to school, canceled or not.

So, my question for you is this... is this all mass hysteria or are we just being safe?

2 comments:

~E said...

Mass hysteria. Definitely. We're "on alert" at my lab. We even have a seperate sign-in sheet now for people who stay home when they think they have the flu. They gave us an extra 5 sick days that doesn't take out our personal time.

Kate said...

I'm starting to think it's mass hysteria, too. I'm not so convinced as to want to go back to work though.